Helpful Resources for Expedited Passport Processing
Whether it's your first time applying, you need to renew, or want to get a passport for your child, the resources below will prepare you to apply for a new U.S. passport. We encourage you to carefully read and follow all instructions to avoid delays in processing.

Lost Passport FAQs

If your passport has been lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to help protect yourself against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport.

To replace and report a lost or stolen passport, Click on the link below and follow the instructions:

To report a lost or stolen passport only (without replacing):

If you would like to report a lost or stolen passport, but you do not need a new passport:

Call the U.S. Department of State toll free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)



  • Passports reported lost or stolen are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel
  • If your passport is recovered after it has been reported lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed on the back of Form DS-64.
  • Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated or used as evidence of U.S. citizenship.